Thursday, January 13, 2011

Love Me, Love My World


I was having lunch with my mother recently, and I was trying to explain to her how the control system operates and expose the criminal and unnecessary harm it does. When I'm talking to people who get all their information about the world from television, I present evidence that comes from mainstream sources such as Reuters or AP because they can't dismiss those sources as "Internet conspiracy theories". I thought I was starting to get through when she changed the subject. "Do you lose sleep over this stuff?", she said. "Yes. Some days I can't stop crying.", I replied. To which she responded, "Why do you let it upset you so much?" What sort of a question is that? It upsets me for the same reason that my being upset bothers her. If more of us let the crimes of the control system upset us, wouldn't we demand that it stop? How the hell did we become so morally insane that millions of our fellow humans being impoverished, enslaved, poisoned, and blown to bits is not a problem but being upset by it is?


What would you think of your doctor if every time you saw him about pain in your body, he simply wrote you a prescription for pain-killers and sent you home? What if he told you that there was no need to set a bone or treat an infection so long as the pain was gone? If you had any sense, you'd report him for malpractice and find another doctor. Pain isn't an illness; it's not a dysfunction; it's your body's way of letting you know that something is wrong. There is a very rare condition called congenital analgesia and it is extremely dangerous. Those who have this disorder can't feel pain. As a result, they may sustain life-threatening injuries and infections without noticing. Fortunately, most of us realise that physical pain is important, necessary, and perilous to ignore.

For some reason, emotional pain is not treated with the same respect. If you go to your doctor and tell him that you are in emotional pain, he will write you a prescription for an emotional pain-killer and send you home. Most psychiatrists apparently believe that emotional pain serves no purpose and that it's causes can be safely ignored. They will tell you in all seriousness that depression is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. WTF!? That's the same as saying that physical pain is caused by electrical signals sent from nerve endings. Such an "explanation" takes no account of the injury that prompted the nerve endings to send the message. Chemical imbalance isn't a cause, it's a mechanism.

 Antidepressants were one of the worst inventions of all time. They are so widely used that everybody knows somebody who is taking them. And we are asked to believe that what we're seeing is an epidemic of chemical imbalance that has nothing to do with real world conditions. It's a brave new world, baby. Pretty soon we'll be free of unpleasant emotions altogether. Scientists are close to developing a vaccine for stress. Sounds great, doesn't it? Soon we'll be able to live utterly inauthentic and meaningless lives in nearly unlimited squalor and it won't bother us a bit. There'll be no need for TPTB to lie about their crimes anymore because we just won't care. And imagine the military applications; TPTB have.

 We need our emotions, all of them. We would lose our humanity without them. They are our moral compass. We need to be able to feel emotional pain. It lets us know that something is wrong and requires healing. There is a very rare condition called psychopathy and it is extremely dangerous. Those who have this disorder cannot feel emotional pain. As a result, they may inflict serious injury on others without emotional consequences. Is that really what we want for ourselves? Will we really trade empathy for comfort? I can only speak for myself, but my answer is NO! I don't care if I'm the only one, it's still NO! I understand that if empathy goes, love goes with it. Love is too valuable to lose, no matter what it costs. Love is worth more than life itself, because life isn't worth shit without love.

I wish people would stop saying or insinuating that there's something wrong with me because I feel this way. I'm not the one who is emotionally crippled. I am simultaneously aware of a higher metaphysical reality in which all is as it must be, but I arrived at that perspective through accepting the importance of all my experience, including the painful parts. It's a contradiction to say that "everything is perfect as it is", and then deny your authentic emotions their (perfect) place. Telling sensitive, empathic people that they shouldn't let the suffering of others bother them is invalidating. It adds injury to injury. I know I'm not alone in feeling this way. Many, if not most, of the people who read this blog know exactly what I'm talking about. I want you to know that there is nothing wrong with you. Your willingness to feel isn't weakness; it is strength. The world needs you just as you are. And I want to thank you for it from the bottom of my heart.
In Lak'ech.

5 comments:

  1. Your awakening and realization of love has opened your heart to the sufferings of the human family and all creation. For things to change there need to more people awakened. It's not particularly any type of government or economic system; it's people's hearts that need awakened and changed.

    "The injury of one shall be considered the injury of all; the comfort of each, the comfort of all; the honor of one, the honor of all."

    "If thine eyes be turned towards mercy, forsake the things that profit thee and cleave unto that which will profit mankind. And if thine eyes be turned towards justice, choose thou for thy neighbour that which thou choosest for thyself."

    This kind of justice and honor come from an awareness and faith in the Divine. No government or economic system will work with justice and compassion until it is based upon divine principles and those divine principles are in the hearts of the people.

    I believe your mother probably agrees with you and can't afford to grieve as she has lost hope that the world can be any different, so she protects herself and tries to protect you by saying don't let these things we can't change upset you so. In one respect she is right and doing the best she can without the hope of God and the Promise of love. What other conclusion could someone come to without the awareness of the Divine.

    Pray for her and all of us.

    I grieve with you and work for the day that is the desire of our hearts
    by touching heart to heart with everyone I meet.

    Peace and Love,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bill. Thanks for your comment. It was inspiring. Where are those quotes from? They're lovely.
    At one point, I experienced a crisis of relevance about blogging. I had to seriously ask myself who I was writing for and why. It was kind of obvious that I was preaching to the converted. So I ended up asking myself why I read blogs, what I needed from it. Apart from information, I figured out that what I need most is simply validation and encouragement. We too often find just the opposite in this upside down, looking glass world. I decided, if that's what I need, then that's what others might need too, and it's something I can offer. Your wonderful comment tells me I was right. Thank you.
    I think you are bang on about my mother's feelings. I understand her fear of being overwhelmed. I could hide my feelings for the sake of her comfort, but it's good for her to see that I can be upset without it destroying me.
    In Lak'ech

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda,

    Well put. I totally agree with you that Western medicine has a deeply flawed conception of emotion, and that to do away with emotional pain is to eliminate an opportunity for insight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Becky. Thanks. When looking at the actions of the Western medical establishment, it seems clear that it has adopted a view of human beings as machines, whose economic productivity must be maintained as a top priority. Insight and psycho-spiritual growth are not important or useful in that regard. I hope we can realise how insane that view is before it's too late.
    In Lak'ech.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought of your post yesterday when I went through a bout of anger and sadness at the situation in the world. Man, thinking about it all can really bring a person down. But then I was talking to a friend who is a permaculturist about it today and he said some things that cheered me up. He said he believes that people collectively are at a point where we're willing to admit our society's past mistakes and are actively re-evaluating what kind of relationship we want to have with the planet. I hope that's true. I also was talking to another friend tonight who said he sees way more well-intentioned people than ill-intentioned ones. We tend to highlight, in the media and so on, the deeds of the the demented psychopaths more than the kind souls, but the balance is in our favor. The glass may be half full.
    Namaste

    ReplyDelete